We put together our first private tour of Mongolia in July 2019 and the feedback was incredible. If you are looking for a genuine experience and prepared to be immersed completely into the local culture and prepared to rough it a bit! Then you need to join this fabulous journey to Mongolia. This will be a private Travel with Me group with a maximum number of 14. This tour is being operated by G Adventures in conjunction with National Geographic and incorporates the incredible Nadaam Festival
Asia’s last untamed frontier
A land of nomadic horsemen and arid steppes that stretch to either jagged mountains or the massive Gobi Desert, Mongolia’s cold, windy landscape evokes images of Genghis Khan and Mongol hordes. Traditional and exotic, Mongolian culture still revolves around a nomadic heritage with the family ger(yurt) at the centre, and horses the only transport. In the capital of Ulaanbaatar, Russian, Chinese, and Tibetan influences mix, and Tibetan Buddhist monasteries are infused with Mongolian Shamanism. Every year the capital hosts the colourful Naadam festival, where thousands flock to compete in the “three manly games” of wrestling, archery, and cross-country horse racing, said to be tests of a warrior’s courage and strength.
In Mongolia, the biggest festival (National Naadam) is held in the Mongolian capital Ulaanbaatar during the National Holiday from July 11 – 13, in the National Sports Stadium. Naadam begins with an elaborate introduction ceremony featuring dancers, athletes, horse riders, and musicians. After the ceremony, the competitions begin. The competitions are mainly horseback riding. Naadam is also organized in different regions of Mongolia and Inner Mongolia in July and August. In the Tuva Republic, Naadam is held officially in 15 August.
The three sports are called “Danshig” games. They became the great celebration of the new nation, where the nobility got together to dedicate to the Jabzundamba Khutugtu, the new head of state.
Genghis Khan’s nine horse tails, representing the nine tribes of the Mongols, are still ceremonially transported from Sukhbaatar Square to the Stadium to open the Naadam festivities. At these opening and closing ceremonies, there are impressive parades of mounted cavalry, athletes and monks.
Price from $7369 pp Twin Share and from $7558 SOLO (max of 3 Solo spaces only)
Your Journeys Highlight Moment: Dinosaur Museum Visit, Ulaanbaatar
Your Journeys Highlight Moment: Erdene Zhu Buddhist Monastery Visit, Kharkhorin
Your Journeys Highlight Moment: Yak Family Farm Experience, Orkhon Valley
Your Journeys Highlight Moment: Nomadic Family Experience, Khongoryn Els
Your Wellness Moment: Tsenkher Hot Springs Visit, Tsenkher.
- Arrival transfer.
- Nadaam Festival Tickets.
- Ulaanbaatar city tour.
- Visit Khustai National Park.
- Visit the archaeological museum.
- Soak in hot springs.
- Hike to Tuvkhun Monastery.
- Orkhon waterfall hike.
- Visit Hoshuu and Ongiin Khiid monasteries.
- Flaming Cliffs excursion.
- Gobi desert excursion and dune hike.
- Gobi Gurvansaikhan National Park excursion.
- Folklore show with dinner.
- Internal flights.
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
ACCOMMODATION: Hotels (5 nts), Ger camps (10 nts).
MEALS: 15 breakfasts, 10 lunches, 11 dinners
TRANSPORTATION: Private vehicles, 4×4, walking, hiking, plane.
STAFF & EXPERTS: Chief Experience Officer (CEO) throughout, local guides.
- Private Travel with Me Journey
- Visa is required and Australian Nationals can apply for e-visa
- Based on departure 10 July 2023
- Price based on minimum of 8 participants and maximum of 14
- Price is based on twin share
- Single rooms are available at additional charge
- Deposit of $500 is required after 7 days of booking
- Subject to availability and subject to change without notice
- Please ask your Travel with Me Consultant for a competitive Travel Insurance quote as insurance is compulsory on all Travel with Me Exclusive and Private Journeys
Vaccination & Testing (subject to change)
In order to travel on a National Geographic Journeys or Family Journeys tour, you must meet the following requirements:
All travellers, Chief Experience Officers (CEOs) and drivers must be fully vaccinated with one of the following vaccines: Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Janssen/Johnson and Johnson, or Astra Zeneca/Covishield. Travellers, CEOs and Drivers who are fully vaccinated with Novavax, Sinopharm BBIBP-CorV (VeroCell), Sinovac-CoronaVac, and Covavaxin (Bharat Biotech) can travel on these tours, but must also provide negative results from a Rapid Antigen Test (taken within 24 hours of the start of the tour) in order to join the group.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) defines fully vaccinated as 14 days after receiving:
- A single-dose of an accepted 1-dose vaccine
- The second dose of an accepted 2-dose vaccine
- The full series of an active (not placebo) COVID-19 vaccine in the US-based AstraZeneca or Novavax COVID-19 vaccine trials
- The second dose of any “mix and match” combination of accepted COVID-19 vaccines provided the second dose of any “mix and match” combination is Pfizer-BioNtech, Moderna or Astra Zeneca/COVIDShield (administered at least 17 days apart).
All travellers must complete the G Adventures Self-Screening COVID-19 form prior to joining the trip.